Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Venturing Out and Expanding My Driving Horizons

So far most of my driving has been to familiar places or to places that I have practiced the route with Chase. I have only had my license for five months now and only have had my bioptic set up to see all the light colors for 3 months. There is a certain level of confidence that comes with driving to places that I have driven before. During my ten weeks in San Antonio, I was very confident driving my routes to USAA, the mall, the gym etc. Even on days when pouring rain came out of the blue, I didn't have any worries.

Having this new freedom is amazing beyond words but my real goal would be to just jump in the car and to go to a place alone that I have never been. I know of other bioptic drivers who travel and rent cars in new cities and hope to do that one day.  As a new driver, I have certain concerns about going to new places, for example, will I end up in the wrong lane and not be able to turn or be forced to turn. So far, I think I am more scared of the "what ifs" and just need to do it. So far any time I have tried going somewhere new, everything has been great.

I have tricks I use to plan my route and make sure I am as prepared as possible.


Google Map Route Choices
Google Map Route Choices
First, I Google map the possible routes. I either pick one of those I like or decide a better route based on what I know. I prefer highways over tons of surface streets. The chances are people aren't going to be popping out of nowhere to cross the street on the highway.

I will then do a satellite view of the area. I check to see the best way to my destination. Is there a signal that I can use?

After that, I use street view to check major intersections and highway on/off ramps to know ahead of time the best lane to be in. I use the navigation in my Cherokee but I cannot see the detail especially with how dark my sunglasses are. I strictly listen to the navigation system.

This route is to an area that I have never been. It is a hotel for the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona Convention. Chase offered to be a silent passenger so I could do a practice run. I did not want him to say anything. I want to know I can do new places completely on my own. The trip was flawless and another step toward independence!


Satellite View of Destination
Satellite View of Destination

Street View of Intersection
Street View of Intersection

Street View of Intersection and Lanes
Street View of Intersection and Lanes
Street View of driveway to destination
Street View of driveway to destination

Jeep Cherokee Navigation System
Jeep Cherokee Navigation System

No comments:

Post a Comment