Monday, October 17, 2011

A look back: How did I get here?


So how did I end up as a top national level bodybuilder?  Well it not a quest that I set out to accomplish as it all happened quite by accident. Growing up I did not participate in sports or even do PE class in school. I did not see pictures of bodybuilders and think I would like to do that. 

As a child and on through my high school years, I was never really active, participate in sports or even do PE classes in school. I am legally blind and cannot see when a ball is coming at me. Rather than suggest things that did not require good vision like track or weight training the schools found it easier to just have me take a different class, have a study hall or just go home one period early. So I never developed an active lifestyle or love to play sports.

Fast forward to my late twenties and I was slightly over weight maybe 5 or so pounds but not fat by any means. As the years went by my lifestyle contributed to slowly gaining and gaining over the years. During this time, I found it much easier to just eat fast food especially since my days were very long having to use the bus for transportation. I hated that I was fat but really was not sure what to do.  I knew the statistics that a huge majority of those who lose weight gain it back plus even more. I also knew about people yo-yo dieting – lose some, gain it back plus more, lose, gain, lose gain a never ending battle of weight. So at that time, I felt I was better to do nothing than to be even fatter.

I hated how I looked. Whenever I was in a dressing room trying to buy clothes I was in tears but still was not sure what to do. Then something happened that would change my life forever, my aunt, who was my age and renting a room form me, wanted to join the gym but did not want to join alone so I decided what the hell and joined. This was the end of 1995 and my heaviest weight 185lbs.  I bought a few books on weight training and read magazines like Muscle and Fitness.  Somehow I knew weight training was the way to go.  I did not go on a “diet” I just began making better choices. Cutting out sugar sodas and fast food made a huge impact on the calories. I did not count calories or weigh myself. During the first few years my single goal was drop down one clothing size. When I reached that goal I would go for the next size. I only used how my clothes were fitting as a measure of progress.  

In addition to the weight starting to come off, I found I really loved hitting the weights. It was my time with me.  I thrived on pushing myself harder and harder.  It was a slow process which at the time was frustrating but looking back going slow taking a few years to drop the weight was the best thing that could have happened because during that time I was also putting on muscle and by going slow my skin shrank with me so I did not end up with loose skin.  I alos learned a lot about food and training since I was doing this all on my own. I did not use any trainers or nutritionists. I kept grinding away and slowly but surely I was dropping sizes.

In 1999 was when I made the biggest changes in my approach to nutrition.  This is when I read Body For Life by Bill Phillips.  My nutrition became much more structured going to eating 6 meals a day, which included a lean protein, low fat and a good carbohydrate source.  This is also when I began to use supplements such as protein powders, meal replacement shakes and creatine.  At this time my work schedule plus transportation time was not allowing me to get to the gym so rather than just being satisfied with the weight I had lost in needed to find a solution. I decided to invest in some equipment and set up a home gym.  I trained in my garage at 4 A.M then took the bus to work.  Fortunately, my company had showers so I did my cardio on my lunch break. Even though I hate running it was the only option at the time that fit my schedule so I ran 30 minute or I did hill sprints.  Even when life’s obstacles got in the way I chose to figure out a way to break through them.

In 2001 my weight was finally at a really good place.  I wore vey small clothing sizes, looked very fit and suddenly was getting a lot of compliments on how I looked.  Several people asked, “Do you compete?” I responded “Compete? In what?” they would reply fitness or bodybuilding. Most of the time I just thanked them for the compliment but never really thought about competing.  One day in the gym a very fit older man who had judged bodybuilding and still competed in masters level said that I really should think about entering a bodybuilding competition.  I decided to give it a shot just for fun with no real thoughts of continuing or where it could lead. This was very scary as I was not comfortable being up in front of people and was very self conscious dues to the years and years of taunting I had endured due to my visual impairment.

In 2002 I hired my first trainer and did my first real “diet”. Prior to this I had done all my diet and training on my own and I never weighed or measured my food.  I had always gone by a serving size of protein is approximately the size of a deck of cards. This form of dieting was also considerably stricter than what I had done to lose weight. At times it was very challenging to stay strict and not cheat. Also during my weight loss I never did more than about 30 min of cardio on a rare occasion I did 45 so doing my first contest prep and getting up to two hours of cardio was extremely difficult.

My first show was March 2002, the San Diego World Gym Classic, and I fell in love with competing.  I was shocked that I actually had no fear or stage fright going out there to do my routine and comparisons.  I competed in two more shows that year and then oen show in 2003. At this time competing was really just a hobby and something to do for fun.

Even though I really enjoyed competing,  I had fears I thought to do bodybuilding you needed to be fat between shows. See I didn’t know any one who was a bodybuilder and had actually never been to a show before I stepped on stage. In my mind at the time, I also thought being big was the same as being fat.  I feared I would gain all the weight back I had lost.  Due to the fact that skin over my abs was a little loose I felt I would never be able to get a 6-pack.

Due to those thoughts in 2004 I decided to give figure a try.  I felt here is a way to stay small, get into competition shape, do photo shoots and get on stage.  Since it was all just a hobby still and I never thought it would go anywhere, I didn’t think whether I did bodybuilding or figure mattered.  Even though it was just for fun that did not prevent me from busting my ass and training as if I was competing at the Olympia, I still gave 100% in my dieting and training – I wanted to look like I belonged up there and look better each time I got on stage.  I competed in a total of 4 figure competitions in 2004 and 2006 and even won an overall in masters.  Although my placings were ok, but I was never really happy in figure. I missed the posing and my training was changed and I found it to not be challenging in the way I liked to lift.  I also like the look of very lean and hard physiques.

I hired Jeremy Minihan (www.sizeandshpefitness.com) at the end of 2006.  Our original goal was to compete at the 2007 Jr Nationals in figure.  He changed some of my training since my legs overpowered my upper body and we worked on trying to bring up my back and shoulders.  Then came the turning point, while I was in Oklahoma training, Jeremy asked me if I would be interested in switching to bodybuilding since my legs were already really lean and we were 6 weeks out.  Without even thinking, I said yes!  When I got home I thought “Am I crazy?” we are less than 6 weeks out form the show and I have to com up with a routine and practice posing.  But in my heart I knew I made the right decision. In 2007 I competed as a lightweight at Jr Nationals and Nationals.

We decided to take the entire year of 2008 off from competing.  My body needed a break from dieted and really needed a boost to the metabolism.  I also wanted to make improvements to my physique and really look like a bodybuilder. My back needed much improvement.

Prep began for the 2009 Jr Nationals at the end of February.  The year off really helped my body, as this was the best contest prep to date. We thought I would still be competing as a lightweight but as the date approached it was obvious I had moved up to middleweight.  This show was the one that rally made me believe I had what it took to do well at the nationals level.  When I first looked at pictures, I could not believe that was me.  The difference from the shows as a lightweight was amazing.   Now I felt I looked like a bodybuilder!  At that show I won my middleweight class and the overall.  I went on to compete at Nationals that year and placed 4th.  No longer was this a hobby just for fun, now I was on a mission for a IFBB Pro card!

Most recently I competed at the 2011 IFBB North American Championships where I place 1st in open middleweight and 1st in over 35 middleweights. I brought my best ever physique to that show after the best contest prep which is much more important than the trophies.  I am now in my off season working with Dusty Hanshaw (www.DustyHanshaw.com) in preparation for the 2012 USAs.  Excited to continue this journey and seeing what I present in 2012.

Bodybuilding is so much more than the trophies and the competitions.  It is a lifestyle that I love.  The challenge of pushing myself harder and harder in the gym is something that I will continue to do long after competing is over. I also like having muscle and am very happy with my body something many people cannot say.  The training, the nutrition, the mindset of giving it all you’ve got is a lifestyle that will stay with me.  My determination and hard work got me started in bodybuilding but the drive, challenge and passion keep the fire alive.

(A future blog will give much more detail and insight into just the weight loss transformation)

No comments:

Post a Comment